Tuesday, February 7, 2012

She's the Man


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Jordan, Amberly

Out of the 4 Amanda Bynes star vehicles, this is the best. That's not going to mean much to most people, I get that, but I do like her in a trashy teen flick kind of way. I think this one manages too surpass some of that stigma and be legitimately good in a few places.

Perhaps using William Shakespeare's Twelfth Night as a basic structure is enough to make this a step up from the rest. Lovewrecked is pure trash but Sydney White, also using previous story for it's structure, manages to come out fine as well. They are both films I genuinely find funny and enjoyable. What can I say, it's the teen girl in me. The other star vehicle film I'm thinking of is What a Girl Wants, but I've only seen that once and it was a very long time ago, so I'll save passing judgment on that for later.

Also some early work from Channing Tatum, who delivers a passable performance for this kind of film. He's someone who I think can be genuinely good but really needs a great director and the right role.

Again, we have some great montages and kooky hijinks, the stock characters we've all come to expect in a teen movie and no real surprises in the story. But who cares about that, it's all good fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment