Friday, July 29, 2011

(500) Days of Summer


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

500 films! Bam.

Seems like an appropriate film to watch now. I liked this one a lot when it came out but only revisited it once. Watching it now I can see how its cutesy stylings could drive someone mad, it's the poster-child for all post-modern indie romantic comedy dramas, with it's non-liniear timeline, funky little animated graphics and incessant hipster soundtrack. It's even set in New York.

But I do love it despite all this. I just really like Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt and the melancholy nature of the story. It is very funny, cool cast, relatable. Eternal Sunshine is still king to me though, even though that film is far more fantastic and this one more based in a reality (despite many funny daydreaming-type sequences).

Marc Webb pull every trick out of the bag in this one and most of it is very effective. I guess he did have something to prove, being his first feature. And I guess he proved it, as his follow up will be the new Spiderman. I have no idea how that will turn out from just watching this but I'm intrigued.

Nice way to end the day and to celebrate this movie watching milestone.

No comments:

Post a Comment