Friday, December 23, 2011

Hobo with a Shotgun


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

What started as a competition entry to make a fake Grindhouse trailer for Rodriguez and Tarantino's Grindhouse Double Feature is now a full feature film, ala Machete.

First time filmmaker Jason Eisener does a pretty good job making it look authentic to the period, but out of all 4 films I'd say this one walks the finest line between faking it's a bad movie and actually being a bad movie. I dunno, does that just make it more authentic?

Everybody likes crazy Rutger Hauer, I wish he was more crazy. The other actors are a umm, yeah a little too authentic. These are some ridiculously silly things in the film which I appreciate. I like that they killed a busload of school kids with flame throwers. And the random robot guards, yeah sure why not.

I like the very flat saturted colour grading from the Red One footage. They put a technicolor logo in their opening credits and I admit some of it does look a little like Suspiria albeit with a more modern high contrast look.

Music was all over the place. Most of the film was too. I think I like this the least out of Death Proof, Planet Terror and Machete but it does satisfy the grindhouse itch for now. I want to see "Don't" from Edgar Wright though...

No comments:

Post a Comment