Sunday, February 19, 2012

Any Questions for Ben?


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

I wasn't expecting something so light from Working Dog. I just don't really get what they were trying to do. The film is alright, I mean it follows all the romantic comedy beats but everything felt so inconsequential.

I guess my main problems is I never cared that much about Josh Lawson's existential crisis. We are repeatedly told how awesome his life is and see him having a good time, so it's hard to feel sorry for him when he figures out he wants something more.

There's not a film worth of character development here. This is an episode arc at best. Once he figures out he wants a change in his life we see him doing the same things and questioning it for the next hour gets very repetitive.

Josh Lawson turns up the charm to an 11 in the titular role of Ben. A lot of the crew from Thank God You're Here pop up too.

I think I enjoyed it ok, it's just so light and familiar that it fades away quick. Watching Daniel Henshall be the nicest guy in the film right after I've seen him be the most evil guy ever is also very disconcerting.

No comments:

Post a Comment