Monday, February 20, 2012

Higher Ground


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

I missed seeing this in its cinema release last year in the art house circuit. But I was curious about what Vera Farmiga might get up to behind the camera, she's always so good in front of it.

Looks like she followed the cardinal rule of American independent films set in small rural towns and went ahead and cast John Hawkes. He just keeps popping up doesn't he.

Now when I see a film about red state christians, I just presume it will end up being a horror film. This whole film had me uneasy, all due to my own problems with religious fundamentalists. The characters here aren't exactly fundamentalists but it's enough to get me on edge.

Of course that is not at all the intention of the film. It's a character study of one woman's struggle with her faith and to find her place in the community. It's slow paced and thoughtful and I was engaged once I figured out there was no horror story about to unfold.

It's a nice little film about a woman that asks some big questions and is cut off by her community for it. It feels very authentic.

Not exactly my cup of tea but glad to see Farmiga is as technically competent at filmmaking as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment