Sunday, February 19, 2012

My Week with Marilyn


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Paul

Well, I haven't seen much Laurence Olivier OR Marilyn Monroe. So I'm not going to comment on impersonations. I will however say, this is my favourite kind of biopic. The kind where they have an interesting and not as well known story about a very specific part of someones life which they use to make a snapshot that's representative of the whole. A self contained story always works better on film fro me than trying to cram a whole life into 2 hours.

Plus you get the investment of this being told from the outsiders point of view so you have a journey to go on with them. It gets a little convenient at times to just have the characters standing in the far background of scenes he was probably never at, just so we as an audience can see them but that's probably something most people wouldn't notice.

Well I can seen now why people talk of Marilyn Monroe as a tragic figure. And it's an interesting relationship that plays out over the course of the film. Of more interest to me was the behind the scenes of British film making in the late 1950's.

The whole film was very enjoyable and well put together. Emma Watson has a pretty nothing part but I really like they way they ended her story. Dame Judi Dench playing Dame Sybil Thorndike was splendid as was Branagh's Laurence Olivier.

They also managed the feat of making the English countryside look warm, sunny and inviting.

If you're interested in the subject matter I'm sure you'll love this one. If like me you know practically nothing about it, it's still an enjoyable and pretty fascinating look at these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment