Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Kill List


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

Holy crap this film is intense. Brilliant. Horrifying. Incredibly uncomfortable. I loved it!

Even well before the plot kicks in and it's just setting up characters the normal suburban domestic relationships are so infused with an oppressive tension it made me so uncomfortable. I felt like I just wanted to leave the room but the camera wouldn't let me.

The editing is great and sets up a lot of what you're gonna need to know stylistically about the story it's telling. It's filled with small jump cuts and rather than show us a whole scene it just cuts right to the most important beats. But never in a jarring or unnatural way. Now I reflect on the story I see how the structure mirrors this too.

If the whole film continued to be a character study of this man and his family and friends it would have been riveting. However things just progress from there. It somehow manages to just keep upping the stakes and taking left turns. You have no idea what's going to happen next you just know it's probably going to be bad. By the time I got to the last few scenes I was just loosing my mind.

This one really did a number on me. I want to say it's a slow burn thriller, and it is, but it's one that starts with you walking on eggshells around these characters already. Masterfully directed and acted. Go watch it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment