Thursday, February 23, 2012

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

I was sceptical going into this one. The trailer made the film look extremely pandering and incredibly schmaltzy. Don't know the book but the film was pretty much what I was expecting and just ever so slightly more interesting than I thought going in.

But really the do lay it on thick. For over 2 hours. I think it just begins to ware you down by the end.

There's a lot to like about it, the editing and cinematography is nice, the performances are all pretty great. They ask a lot of their lead and newcomer Thomas Horn delivers for the most part pretty well.

A lot of the contrivances are probably easier to swallow when introduced gradually over a longer period of time like you can afford to do in a novel. Squeezing it into a film will always be tricky. It's gonna work for some and not at all for others. I think I fell somewhere in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment