Friday, July 8, 2011

A.I. Artificial Intelligence


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Amberly

No blinking!

I do love this film. Spielberg taking the reigns after Kubrick died. What jump out at me this time after having not seen it for so long is how much I respect those ILM effects guys. It's can't be easy compositing anything into a frame shot by Janusz Kaminski. He puts in that much smoke and atmosphere and all the lights flare and glow, it would be a nightmare trying to match or put things behind. Hats off to them.

And the effects are awesome. I love all those robot designs. But more importantly than that is the sweet little mother son relationship at the centre of this epic film. In a film filled with so many cool concepts and ideas that's the central story that you can cling on too.

A lot of people are put off by the end and it's easy to see why. I remember when it came out we had arguments over if those things at the end were robots or aliens. They are robots though, that has been confirmed, I thought it was obvious. Although it does necessitate a bit of doing to get to the end I'm glad it finishes where it does and not earlier as some have suggested.

People accuse Spielberg of being to sweet and sappy. I do think that's the case with some of this stuff, but only ever after the fact, never while watching. Also there's quite a lot of really dark and slightly subversive stuff in the film too, it's not all bright and happy.

Where the hell is the Australian bluray release? everywhere else has it. Sad.

A.I.: Artificial Intelligence [Blu-ray]

No comments:

Post a Comment