Thursday, July 7, 2011

Shutter Island


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Amberly


Really like this recent effort from Scorsese. The things that jumped out most to me on my first viewing was the music and the photography. I love the was all those dream sequences and memories blend gradually into reality . And I love that there's always something floating in the air during those sequences, ashes, snow, paper, rain. etc. They are just gorgeous.

This film maintains creepy paranoid feel and expertly builds the crazy. The actors are all great, an amazing cast and like Fight Club it's fun to watch the film again with knowledge of the end and see everything that's set up. Really love Patricia Clarkson's one scene, even though she's shot in front of a flickering fire that drives you a little batty after a while.

I remember seeing the trailer and picking the ending, although I didn't know it at the time, I said it aloud sarcastically on the way to the theatre, so when my made up twist turned out to be real everyone was pissed off at me for unintentionally spoiling  the film. But like Fight Club, the film is not it's twist, you can still enjoy it knowing the ending because it's a damn good film.

Shutter Island [Blu-ray]

No comments:

Post a Comment