Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Rocketeer


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

Timothy Dalton you suave nazi bastard.

Captain America comes out at the end of the month, so why not have a look back at Joe Johnston's other WW2 comic book super hero film? Such a delightful film.

I really do love period adventure, there's something so swashbuckling old hollywood about it. The fact that Dalton plays a swashbuckling old hollywood star might have something to do with that too. I love his demise destroying the "land" part of the big hollywood sign at the end.

The flying action in this film is great and all done back before anyone relied on CG. I love the zeppelin climax and how they somehow managed to keep a fully inflated airship hidden in L.A. Terry O'Quinn is Howard Hughes! And he shows a damn cool German rocketeer propaganda animation, authentically made. I love that sequence!

I never watched this much as a kid. Even I underrated it. But it truly is a lot of fun. The unmistakable James Horner music really gets the tone and adventure. Nothing but love for The Rocketeer. I hope Captain America gets the same feel.

The Rocketeer

No comments:

Post a Comment