Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Jawbreaker


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

Another dark teen comedy, not as vicious or hilarious or intelligent as Heathers though. But I'd forgotten how very stylised this one was, it exists in a very pop teen world, the characters are caricatures, the dialogue idiosyncratic and the transitions are all accompanied by cartoonish sound effects. A lot of the editing and montages feel dreamlike and surreal. It's a strange mix that creates a very heightened reality.

It's a nifty cast that don't look like high-schoolers but in this reality anything goes. As one would expect it has a soundtrack made almost exclusively of indie pop rock from the period but the score by Stephen Endelman is very effective and I wish there was more of it.

I have fond memories of films like this and Gossip and Idle Hands, renting them out at the  beginnings of the DVD format and listening to the directors commentaries. I think that's where I got the vast majority of my filmmaking knowledge. The big blockbuster films never had anything decent to say about the actual ins and outs of day to day shooting on a budget.

So I do have some fond memories of these films but I think this one holds up pretty well.

Jawbreaker [Blu-ray]GossipIdle Hands

No comments:

Post a Comment