Monday, July 4, 2011

Topsy-Turvy


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

I had caught a little bit of this when I was younger but never saw the whole thing. I'm not that knowledgable of Guilbert and Sullivan but I know the most popular titles and could hum a few tunes. Mike Leigh takes us backstage in the creation of The Mikado.

It's a film filled with period detail and a great cast of some of my favourite actors, only this time singing operetta as well. Wonderful.

I know Leigh usually improvises the majority of his films, or at least he does now. I don't know how that works when recounting historical fact but the way scenes unfold and the side stories told often feel like little anecdotes that have been expanded upon. They don't often resolve or add to the plot but do give an insight into time and practice.

As such it feels very observational. A little slice of life that will definitely interesting any fans of the material. I found it a little long but it feels like a very realistic depiction.

Topsy-Turvy: The Criterion Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment