Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Fat Girl


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

This french film was in that book 1001 films you must see before you die. I've never been able to find a copy in Australia but Planet Video just imported the criterion dvd from the U.S so I thought I'd give it a look. Did I need to see this before I died? Eh, probably not me, but I'm sure there are those that find this kind of story and the characters interesting otherwise it probably wouldn't have made it on the list.

Sharing a room with your fat sister and then loosing your virginity to a vacationing italian while she pretends to sleep? Awkward. I like those awkward drama moments but most of the time it just boring everyday sibling rivalry stuff.

Then the last 8 minutes happened. Big gear shift, jarring, although thematically appropriate and foreshadowed now that I think about it. Still, unexpected violent events at the end help make this more interesting, but for me it was too little to late.

I like the film for the ending but I don't think I could be bothered to sit through the whole thing again to get to that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment