Friday, January 14, 2011

Piranha


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

So after revisiting the Howling, I realised the writer and director had also teamed up on Piranha with Roger Corman. This is the new remake of that film and if you are going to remake a Roger Corman film, this is the way to do it.

Exploitation. Pure unadulterated Exploitation. I haven't seen such legitimate exploitation since Paul Verhovern in the 80's. People that aren't willing to have a goofy fun time with this film, well they just shouldn't watch it. For those of us out there that love the excess, this film has bucket loads. The reason why It made it so far up on my best of list last year is because I had SUCH a good time watching this at the cinema with friends. It is hilarious. It knows it's silly and just goes all the way.

This move has some of the greets gore and death scenes I have seen since Braindead. KNB have outdone themselves. The make-up deserves an oscar nomination. It's hard not to be impressed by the sheer amount of blood at that spring break scene. There are so many favourite deaths to choose from but the one that stands out to me is the girl with her hair caught in the propeller. Ouch. Hahahahahah Oh man.

The actors look like they are having a good time. Christopher Lloyd is nuts again. Elizabeth Shue kicks ass. Jerry O'Connell gets his dick eaten. Richard Dreyfuss!!! The underwater photography is great, the fish look cool, I don't think I've ever seen so many boobs in my life, I want to ride around on a jet ski with a shot gun.

For my money, Alex Aja knocked this one out of the park. I liked his Hills Have Eyes remake probably as much as I like the original. I think I like his Piranha more than the original. I hope he will make something original in the U.S too (besides the severely under seen and underrated P2, go watch it!) because High Tension was pretty great but if he's gonna keep remaking horror film like this I'd be fine with that too.

Do not watch this if you think it looks stupid and silly. It IS stupid and silly. It is not for everyone. But if you're willing to go with it this could be the most fun you have watching a film in a long time. It was for me.

And Who knows, maybe James Cameron will make a sequel to this one too. In 3D no less.

2 comments:

  1. I need to see this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! And if we can find someone with a 3D tv we can watch with that too. I would like to test one of those systems out, even with post-converted 3D

    ReplyDelete