Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Last Action Hero


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

I have not seen this film since I was very young, only remembered bits of it. I don't know why it took me so long to watch it again, the whole post modern self-referential concept is so up my ally.

The best stuff happens at the beginning where they actually have the "action movie" segments like only John McTiernan and Shane Black can make. At this stage they are just having fun goofing on the conventions of 90's action cinema. When the story takes over and the characters cross into the real world things start to drag a bit. Maybe that's intentional, but the first half was way more enjoyable than the second.

I didn't realise this is where the Hoo-Haa Arnie example line "here's a couple of acres" comes from. Kind of makes that superfluous if it's already supposed to be a parody of a bad Arnie line, no?

So many cameos!

No comments:

Post a Comment