Saturday, January 15, 2011

Victor Victoria


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

I also found this in the $4 bin. Blake Edwards just recently passed away. I don't know much of his work, I was never very into the Pink Panther movies but I knew this film and thought it would be nice to watch with the commentary to hear him and his wife Julie Andrews talk about the film.

I should probably watch his other films because I do like these old comedies, not for the slapstick and prat fall stuff, but the door gags and witty one liners and general comedy of error style. This has a great cast, Leslie Ann Warren being a favourite of mine (I believe she won an oscar for this role too). It has a beautiful old studio picture look and an amazing score and songs by the great Henry Mancini.

Hearing Edwards and Andrews talk in the commentary was wonderful. They had some insightful things to say about the making of the film. My favourite was Edwards talking about how notoriously little film he shot with in order for the studio to have no alternative but to cut the film the way he wanted. It is truly a sad loss he is gone but he has left behind an enormous legacy of films for me to pick my way through, which I can't wait to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment